Dogs and Pinecones {You’ll Want to Be Aware of This}

Did you find a pinecone in your pup’s mouth? If you aren’t sure if it’s a good idea for your dog to be chewing on pinecones or you’re just curious about it. Let me help you learn a little bit about dogs and pinecones.

So after reading this post, you’ll be aware of if your dog needs to stay away from the seed-producing cone of a pine tree.

Puppy with pinecone in month can a puppy eat it
Dogs and Pinecones

Can Dogs Eat Pinecones?

The answer is No; dogs shouldn’t eat pinecones.

I’ll tell you why:

But first things first, a little background on pinecones. Because it’s important to know more about them to understand.

Pinecones come from pine trees, and the cones are there to protect the seeds the tree produces, so the seed sits inside the cone, which stays tightly closed so it can save the seeds in the cold winter months, and then when the warmer weather hits, the cone will open up so it can let go of the seeds for future growings. That is why you will found the pinecones on the ground.

Our dogs are, of course, curious about every little thing they usually find on the ground by using their incredible sense of smell that will lead them right to the brown pointy chewing cones.

Puppy with pinecone in month wondering if the puppy can eat it

*Disclosure: This page contains affiliate links, meaning I earn a commission if you use those links at no cost to you. I always only recommend brands I trust and ones I think you’ll love.


Are Pinecones Toxic to Dogs?

Pinecones aren’t toxic or poisonous to dogs, which is a good thing, but that doesn’t mean they should eat them or chew on them. 

You see: 

The pinecones themselves might not be toxic, but pinecones definitely can be bad for our furry friends in their own way. 

Dogs Should Avoid Eating Pinecones

Here’s why:

Dogs should avoid pinecones because:

1.The pine tree and its pine needles produce a pine oil, which could also be on the pinecone. It’s known that pine oil could have a bad effect on some dog’s stomachs. 

 2. The sap from pine trees usually ends up on the pinecones, and some dogs could have an allergic reaction due to that, especially dogs that are more prone to allergies. 

 3. There is a very good chance that pesticides or fertilizers could be on the pinecones that your dog found on the ground, which could harm your dog. 

4. Pinecones have sharp edges (what they call scales) and could splinter if your dog was to eat it, which then could irritate your pup’s stomach. 

5. Depending on how much of a pinecone your dog ate, it could block his or her intestine that could then require surgery to unblock it.

6. Ingested pinecones can make some dogs feel sick enough that it could cause them to vomit, or they could lose their appetite.


Why Is My Dog Obsessed With Pinecones?

So when they came across pinecones, they usually tend to want to play with it, chew on it, or eat it.

It could be the scent of the pine sap that attracts them to it – that makes them think hmmm.. “this would be a good snack,” or maybe they think it would make a great toy. Remember what I said above – dogs are curious and find almost everything interesting. It’s in their blood lol…


Video by Karolina Grabowska from Pexels

What To Do If Your Dog Eats A Pinecone?

I know it could be hard to get our dogs not to eat everything they see on the ground.

I can attest to that. My English bulldog is one of them so try not to panic too much if you happen to catch your dog with a pinecone in his or her mouth chewing on it like it’s a special treat or new toy.

Hopefully, you can catch them in action and grab it from them.

If you weren’t able to see your pup in action and aren’t exactly sure how much of the pinecone they ate and find your puppy isn’t acting like his or her jolly ole self – Do Not Hesitate to call your veterinarian, or you can also contact petpoisonhelpline.com if you don’t know who to contact – their phone number is listed on their site. It is better to be safe than sorry.  

I’ve listed a few symptoms below that you can look out for if you think your dog is starting to feel sick, just in case.

General possible symptoms:

  • Vomiting
  • Loss of appetite

Allergic reaction possible symptoms:

  • Trouble breathing
  • Swelling
  • Trouble walking

These symptoms listed above are to be used as a general guideline and can be rare. But in my opinion, Knowledge is power, and the more you know and learn will lead you to know the best way to care for your dog. 


How To Stop Dogs From Eating Pinecones

Why is my dog obsessed with pinecones? You might be wondering…but here is the thing dogs love to explore and that’s probably because of their incredible sense of smell. It not so much the pinecone but more like this “thing” seems so interesting. 🙂

What’s best for you to do is try to get them not to be focused on that “thing” in this case, that would be the pinecone. 

Next time when you are out with your dog enjoying lovely walks on a trail or in your countryside backyard full of trees, try always to have a toy with you.

I prefer a rubber ball or tennis ball when we are outside. You need to change their train of thought away from the things they aren’t supposed to be touching and get them more interested in the things they can have, like the ball.

It could take time, but I know it works for most dogs. 

Another good tip is to train your dog “the leave it” command or “the drop it” command. These two training techniques are a great way to teach your pup not to eat everything they come across on the ground, especially for situations like what we are discussing here about dogs eating pinecones.


Pin this image below to your favorite Pinterest board to go back to it later to read.

Dogs and Pinecones

Dogs And Pinecones:

I hope this post was able to answer your question. The bottom line is that our dogs and pinecones don’t go together and that they should avoid eating pinecones.

As dog parents, we need to do our best to keep them out of harm’s ways, and I know you already know that. How else would you have ended up here, right? 

By any chance, they do happen to end up with a pinecone in their mouth and ingest a small amount; you now know what to look out for and remember if in doubt always, always call your vet or a local 24-hour emergency veterinarian clinic near you.

Until next time,

Have a pawsome day!

Continue the Conversation:

P.S. If you have any other particular issue that you are dealing with your dog and need help. Leave me a comment below, and I will be happy to answer it for you. 🙂 Also, please share this information so other dog owners can learn this information I discussed.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *